- SARS-CoV-2 that causes COVID can be airborne for lengthy periods of time
- Variants increase the danger of every virus including SARS-CoV-2.
- Current technology does not support safely sanitizing air while people are present.
- Far-UVC: 207-222nm ultraviolet light in lower end of the ultraviolet spectrum just above Vacuum UV
- Ten-year-old discovery that Far-UVC is effective in quickly inactivating viruses and bacteria while having no discernable positive or negative effects to people, animals or plants effectively able to reduce risks of person to person as well as animal to person, animal to animal, vegetation to person & vegetation to animal transfer of viruses & bacteria that are airborne.
- Quotes from Dr. David Brenner a Biophysicist at Columbia University:
- “Far-UVC light efficiently kills viruses, and bacteria too, but all the available evidence, and here’s the thing, is that it’s safe for human exposure”…
- “overhead, indoor Far-UVC lights could be used to kill viruses in indoor spaces where people are present and reduce the risk of person-to-person transmission of COVID”…
- Far-UVC is often confused with conventional UVC, but its effects are very different. Conventional UVC is very effective at inactivating viruses & bacteria but is hazardous to human health so it can only be safely applied in enclosed water & air systems where people might be exposed while Far-UVC has no discernable effects, positive or negative, on people, animals or plants.
- Far-UVC has been extensively scientifically studied for effects on people and tested against numerous bacteria and viruses including SARS-CoV-2 that causes COVID.
- Devices that can inactivate viruses and bacteria that are airborne using Far-UVC in areas up to 50 square metres/500 square feet while people are present.
- Far-UVC only inactivates viruses & bacteria that are directly exposed which make this technology particularly applicable to viruses and bacteria when they are airborne.
- Effects of Far-UVC also make virus variants susceptible to inactivation because Far-UVC disrupts RNA or DNA of any microorganisms not protected by a significant epidermis layers.
- Surface sanitization of viruses and bacteria is very limited because Far-UVC is easily blocked by virtually any organic & inorganic material of any substance, including light dust.
- Far-UVC also cannot inactivate viruses or bacteria if they enter a person’s body, even just in surface skin.
- Beneficial bacteria in the skin that are easily destroyed with soap or chemical sanitizers are difficult for Far-UVC to reach let alone affect. This limitation of Far-UVC technology makes it safe for people, animals and plants but limits practical effectiveness to viruses and bacteria that are airborne.
- Far-UVC is currently included in the broad UVC spectrum so we have developed our technology to deliver Far-UVC below ACGIH limits (American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists) https://www.acgih.org/. ACGIH limits do not significantly diminish the effects of Far-UVC on viruses & bacteria however they are an extra measure of safety.
- Current configurations are suspended lamps or trough lamps that sanitizes areas of 500 square feet/50 square meters. Current retail price: $1200 CDN/unit
- Price could be reduced as much as 50% with significant orders.
- Smaller configurations in development for elevators & small rooms or spaces.
- Portable configuration in development with option of solar panel and batteries.
- Transportation configurations in development for planes, trains, subways, buses…
- Largest expense is Far-UVC emitters that have a 10,000-hour life (approximately 13 months)
- MagecTech™ technology in MagecAir™ devices
- optimizes Far-UVC emitter life up to 10 years with motion sensors
- monitors emitter functionality
- tracks emitter life & condition
- indicates emitter life externally with LEDS
- is Bluetooth enabled to send emitter condition & maintenance information to central or off-site computers.
Links to Far-UVC Information:
- Far-UVC light: A new tool to control the spread of airborne-mediated microbial diseases: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-21058-w
- Far-UVC light (222 nm) efficiently and safely inactivates airborne human coronaviruses: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-67211-2
- Study shows 99.9% of coronaviruses killed by far-UVC light: https://www.healtheuropa.eu/study-shows-99-9-of-coronaviruses-killed-by-far-uvc-light/100930/
- Far-UVC Light Safely Kills Airborne Coronaviruses: https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news/far-uvc-light-safely-kills-airborne-coronaviruses
- The potential of far-ultraviolet light for the next pandemic: https://physicsworld.com/a/the-potential-of-far-ultraviolet-light-for-the-next-pandemic/